Post by flickaholic on Jan 26, 2017 21:56:09 GMT -8
I just returned for a late night screening of Raees. I had moderate expectations and I felt satisfied when the credits started rolling.
I want to write a detailed review but its too late in the night and I am not good at writing reviews. I just want to say a few things to start and would love to discuss more about different aspects of the movie.
* First up - Raees is a well made movie. It is no Dilwale or HNY. It does seem that those days are behind SRK. So please watch the movie when you get a chance. Its not perfect but very few movies can claim to be perfect.
* Second - Ignore the people or critics who give this movie any less than 3 stars out of 5. If this move is 2/2.5 stars then 99% Bollywood movies should find it hard to deserve 3 stars. Any level headed critic or movie lover will like something in it. To rate it lowly or attack this movie there has to be something else other than rational ratings. I know movies are personal preference but still this is a good watch so please go watch the movie
* Third - This is a commercial movie but a well narrated commercial movie. The romance angle is not over done. Even though when the first few songs started, I felt like hmnn... but by the end I believe this was necessary for emotional impact.
*** Yes, SRK is Fantastic as Raees, Please go watch the movie
Rating - 8.5/10
Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 22:07:36 GMT -8 by flickaholic: update
Post by flickaholic on Jan 26, 2017 22:32:01 GMT -8
Well, I don't feel sleepy so few more lines -
* I like the way the movie begins and gives the chance to establish fundamentals of the Raees character.
* I loved the way the movie ended .. A strong emotional finish (Part of the reason some people may not like it)... It depicted multiple impactful moments between all main characters..
* This is like fan where many people loved the first half and Gaurav and did not like the second half and Aryan... The second half was little slower than the fist half but I liked it, specially the last 10-15 minutes.. I have to reflect on this more.
* For the length of the movie you don't see much SRK, He becomes Raees and breathes life into the character. Few steps during the songs distracted my attention a bit but the overall distraction was 1-2 minutes..
* I know this is just the start of the year, But he deserves a nomination for this if not an award
Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 22:48:57 GMT -8 by flickaholic: update
Post by flickaholic on Jan 28, 2017 11:33:16 GMT -8
Few things about Technical aspects -
Direction - Rahul Dholakia has done a very good job. Kudos to him. Even with delays, pressure from two big production houses, Having a huge superstar like SRK and his first big commercial movie... He has delivered a very tight movie where in a gangstar flick you get a love story that kind of runs nicely with the flow,Action( Stylized and little overdone but not a salman type or Ghajini type), some comic moments and extracted great performance from most of the cast. The film could easily have been 3 hours with the kind of story he had but he has managed to wrap it under 2.5 hours.
Art Direction - Fantastic.. The Sets, costume all fit the demand of the script perfectly. It draws you in to the world of Raees.
Dialogues - After a long time people are talking about dialogues from a movie. The dialogue-bazzi between Nawaz and SRK is a strong point of the movie... Neatly done without sounding too cheesy.
Background score - Elevates scenes and action on screen and goes really well with the mood of the movie.
Story\Screenplay - The story does not have too many twists and the story itself is not very original or fresh in a sense like Fan per se.. But its the treatment and performances that elevate the story. The screenplay is better than the story itself and rises above the script in a sense.
Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017 11:34:28 GMT -8 by flickaholic: update